Sunday, September 9, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Style Cookies with Rum and Spice Icing


Is it just me or does it seem like pumpkins are the "it" thing in today's cooking/baking world?  I find it incredibly weird that there's an "it" food like there's an "it" item in fashion.  Don't get me wrong, I love me some pumpkin (hello, Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks, anyone?)  It's especially strange that it's all the rage when the two most common memories for American kids as it pertains to the great pumpkin (oh, hello, three - how dare I forget Charlie Brown!), are decorating them and as pureed goods in a can most commonly used for pie.  Either way, I won't complain - it's forced my hand to be more creative with my beloved pumpkins.  As you can tell from the two previously posted recipes, I don't tend to follow the a-typical directions for things lol.
 

So my intent on making these cookies is to send them to my children in OEF. Yes, I call them children even though the majority are somewhat older than I am.  The only part I'm bummed about is that I can't send the icing.  I'm sure this fact will generate snarky emails from at least one LTC and quite possibly some sarcastic comments whenever I call the kids.  Why can't I send the icing?  Well...butter, sugar, rum + 1 week shipping in God only knows what type of temperatures = a VERY depressing ending for some seriously delicious icing.
I see these being stupifyingly delicious with coffee...  I want coffee now...  Dammit. 

Oven: 350 degrees F, bake 10-15 minutes depending on oven.

Batter:

2 1/2 cups of AP flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
[mix the above ingredients in a separate bowl]
1/2 cup of butter, softened
2-3 tsp pumpkin butter (optional, but SO worth it)
1 1/2 cup of white sugar
1 cup of canned pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract (I always add a bit more)
Pumpkin Spice, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ground Cloves, etc. (c'mon - who actually measures out pumpkin spices?  Just do as much as makes you happy)

Beat together butters and sugar until fluffy (about 2 minutes on medium-high).  Add pumpkin puree, spices, egg, and vanilla extract and mix until combined.  Now is a good time to taste test!  Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.



Rum Icing:

1/2 cup Softened Butter (unsalted)
2 cups Confectioners Sugar
3-4 cap fulls of Spiced Rum
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Some Nutmeg, Cinnamon, and Ground Cloves

Mix butter and sugar together until creamy (**if it's not creamy, add more butter or add the pumpkin butter until it is).  Add rum, extract and spices.  If you want it thinner, you can either add more rum/extract or a tsp (at a time!) of milk.  If you want it thicker, add in a bit more sugar.  Taste test to adjust spices!



No comments:

Post a Comment