Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Gluten Free Peanut Butter Oatmeal Awesome Balls (aka: Crack Balls)

Ok, ok, I know what you must be thinking.  "Crack balls!?  Bahahhaa!  What the heck?"  I did not name these little bites of deliciousness - I'm still debating on what, exactly, to call them.  However, one of the guys at work decided to walk back into my office after I brought them in and asked if I, "had anymore Crack Balls left".  Yup, unofficially nicknamed. Perhaps I'm a bit childish (if you laughed at the name, own it, it's good to be someone childish!) but the name cracks me up.  As does just about anything with that word at the end. 

Anywho.  What most of you may not know is that I've recently swung myself into the pits of being Gluten Free.  Why, you ask?  About two years ago my GI doc told me I had gluten sensitivities (thus the copius amount of time spent pledging my allegiance to the porceline god).  I've been feeling down right crappy lately, upset upper stomach, starved muscles from the gym, etc. - all of those factors plunged me into the decision that I was going to clean out my diet to go GF for the next 3 months. 

Holy God.  I panicked after making that decision.  I won't lie.  Complete and utter panic.  How would I bake?  What would I eat for snacks?  How long is this freaking trip to the grocery store going to take me!?!?!  Yup...panic.  I inhaled and exhaled, did a bit of wu-sa'ing, if you will and decided to move forward.  Thank goodness for Amazon, Pinterest and some friends. 

Anywho, a sweet tooth struck from out of nowhere at day 6 of being GF.  Oh God!  What was I to do?  I need to feed the crazy beast on the inside and I didn't know how!  So, like any good internet soldier, I hit Pinterest and thus found a recipe for No Bake Gluten Free Energy Balls.  I altered the recipe to fit what I like (I'm sorry, but I will NEVER like coconut in any form of substanence outside of milk). 

Ready for something so simple I bet I could get my youngest niece to help me with it?


Crack Balls (or...something):

1c GF oats (I recommend throwing them around in a food processor for a few seconds so they take on the form of instant oatmeal - easier to bite into)
1c almond shavings
1/2c ground flaxseed meal
1/2c - 3/4c Natural creamy PB
About 1/3c honey
1/2c dark choc chips

Throw all ingredients into a bowl and combine.  If you don't have a cookie scoop, I suggest getting another bowl of water to help keep your hands a bit moist so that when you form the balls, they don't completely mush into your hands.  Make balls about 1-1/2" - 2" round.

Change around the butters (I did this with almond butter and holy geez!)

No baking required :)  Just throw them in a fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm up a bit and dive in.

No comments:

Post a Comment