Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Stuffed Flank Steak with Swiss Chard and Feta

Aside from grilling meat, this is the easiest thing I think I've ever done with a cut of beef.  Delicious and slightly melty. 

I'm a meat eatin' kinda gal.  This likely has to do with the fact that one side of my family has been farming since, well...since farming began I'd assume (the Irish side).  Not only that, but my great-granda went from being a farm boy, to being a butcher's assistant, to owning a slaughter house.  Oh, I'm sure someone's reading this and damning my family for it's meat-eating tendencies, but I'm a full supporter of eating as you see fit.  If meat isn't your choice, that's why we're omnivores - you rock that vegetarian or vegan lifestyle like a rock star.  We all make dietary choices and mine is to eat a juicy cut of meat.

I digress. 

I stumbled across a good lookin' recipe for Stuffed Flank Steak (see link if you want to see step-by-step directions in cutting flank steak).  However, as in all things, I do with what I have or, more importanty, what I like.  I'm not the world's biggest fan of spinach and Pops is not a fan of red bell peppers.  So...what did I do you ask?  See the recipe below.


Stuffed Flank Steak with Swiss Chard and Feta:

Oven pre-heated to 425-degrees | Cook time 35 minutes

1 Flank Steak (1 1/2 - 2lbs)
3-4 swiss chard leaves, chopped and steamed (or cooked down in a pan)
1/4 cup diced red onion, cooked until translucent
1/2 cup crumbled sun dried tomato and basil Feta
3 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
1 egg yolk, beaten
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning or Herbs de Provance
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil

*If you buy a thin cut of flank steak, you don't have to cut it down the center to make a wide sheath of meat; you can just pound it out a bit to make it an even surface.  If you buy a thicker cut, place the steak on a flat service and take a sharp knife parallel to work surface and starting at a long side, slice flank steak in half to opposite long side, (cut it like a book) without cutting all the way through - flatten the center to make it even. 

1.  In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil.  Once it shimmers, add the onion and swiss chard until slightly wilted and onion is translucent to slightly browned.

2.  In a bowl, combine Feta, bread crumbs, egg yolk, chard and onion mix, garlic salt, seasoning, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and a dash of salt and pepper. 

3.  With the flank steak open, spread the contents of the bowl, leaving at least 1/4" border of the meat untouched at all sides (this will help it stay together and not seep out).

4.  Roll the meat long-wise (in other words, don't give yourself a short roll), and tie every 2" with butcher's twine.  Or...if you're anything like me you forget you have it in the drawer and instead use toothpicks :)

5.  Place the meat seam side down on a baking sheet and brush olive oil over the top of the meat, dash some salt and pepper on top and throw 'er in the oven.  You should have a browned, juicy cut of meat awaiting your consumption when done.

No comments:

Post a Comment